Book Reviews

Special A.C.E. Stories

Online Paper (PDF)

Bids & Public Notices

NW Job Market


Special Sections

Asian Reporter Info

About Us

Advertising Info.

Contact Us
Subscription Info. & Back Issues





Currency Exchange

Time Zones
More Asian Links

Copyright © 1990 - 2020
AR Home


International News

Indonesian choreographers provide digital stage for dancers


Carved stone turtle unearthed from Angkor reservoir site


Sri Lanka newlyweds cancel wedding party, help poor instead


Author Murakami DJs "Stay Home" radio show to lift spirits


Sikh kitchens feed New Delhiís masses in virus lockdown


Street dog helps see Chinese nurse through virus traumas


Virus diary: In Hong Kong lockdown, watched by a wristband


From The Asian Reporter, V30, #07 (June 1, 2020), page 2.

Japanese pro wrestler in popular reality show dies at 22

TOKYO (AP) ó Hana Kimura, a Japanese pro wrestler who had appeared in the popular reality show "Terrace House," has died. She was 22 years old. Her organization, Stardom Wrestling, confirmed Kimuraís death. It said details are still unknown and the group was cooperating in an investigation, and asked her fans to be respectful. "We are very sorry to report that our Hana Kimura has passed away," the organization said in a statement. Kimura was found dead at her home, Japanese media said. Kimura became the target of massive bullying on social media over her role on the "Terrace House" show on Netflix, which involves three men and three women temporarily living together at a shared house in Tokyo. The show was temporarily suspended due to the coronavirus. In Instagram posts on May 22, she published a photo of herself and her cat, with a message: "Goodbye." Another posting carried a message: "I love you, live long and happy. Iím sorry." Her death has triggered a wave of messages on social media against anonymous bullying and hateful messages. Kimura, whose mother, Kyoko, was also a famous pro wrestler, performed at a sold-out Madison Square Garden event by Japan Pro-Wrestling and U.S. Ring of Honor.

Stanley Ho, who built Macao gambling industry, dies at 98

HONG KONG ó Casino tycoon Stanley Ho, whose business empire dominated the Portuguese gambling enclave of Macao for decades, died in Hong Kong at age 98, according to his daughter, Pansy Ho. Considered the father of modern gambling in China, Hoís long and eventful life tracked the ebb and flow of southern Chinaís fortunes. After a swashbuckling start as a kerosene trader, he ended up as Macauís richest person, a lavish spender, and debonair ballroom dancer. A family statement said he died peacefully in his sleep, but did not give a cause of death. Of mixed Chinese and European heritage, Ho fathered 17 children with four women, an extended family that engaged in high-profile squabbles over his legacy during his later years. Ho had stakes in businesses running everything from the ferries and helicopters connecting Hong Kong and Macao to department stores, hotels, Macaoís airport, and its horse-racing tracks. But he said he avoided the gambling floor. "I donít gamble at all. I donít have the patience," Ho told The Associated Press in a rare interview in 2001. "Donít expect to make money in gambling. Itís a house game. Itís for the house." Ho was born on November 25, 1921, into the Hotung family, one of Hong Kongís wealthiest and most powerful.

Drug suspect sentenced to death at Zoom hearing

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) ó Singapore sentenced a drug suspect to death at a court hearing held on the videoconferencing app Zoom because of the city-stateís coronavirus lockdown, in a decision slammed by a human-rights group as callous and inhumane. Defense lawyer Peter Fernando said the Supreme Court announced the penalty to his client, Punithan Genasan from Malaysia, in a virtual hearing. Genasan was in jail, while Fernando and prosecutors participated in the hearing from different locations. A Supreme Court spokesperson said courts have been conducting hearings and delivering judgements remotely to minimize the spread of the virus. The spokesperson, who declined to be identified under court policy, confirmed Genasanís case was the first "where a death sentence was pronounced by remote hearing in Singapore." Singapore however, is not the first country to do so. Human Rights Watch said a man in Nigeria was also sentenced to death via Zoom last month, reportedly for murder. "This has been the arrangement made by the court ... with essential hearings conducted via Zoom. We have no complaints," Fernando said. He planned to meet Genasan to discuss an appeal. The Singapore court ruled that Genasan, 37, was involved in drug trafficking in October 2011. Court documents said the judge found he recruited two drug couriers and directed them to transport and deliver 28.5 grams of heroin. Singapore applies the death penalty to a range of offenses including drug trafficking, murder, kidnapping, waging war against the government, and use of firearms. It has defended capital punishment as a deterrent for the most serious crimes. Many of the cases are related to drugs.

Hong Kong police grapple with pro-democracy protesters

HONG KONG (AP) ó Riot police in Hong Kong grappled with pro-democracy protesters who gathered in shopping malls to sing, chant slogans, and flash hand signs after permission for a Motherís Day march last month was denied. The incident indicated a desire on the part of some in the pro-democracy camp to revive the protests against Hong Kongís Beijing-backed government that paralyzed parts of the semi-autonomous Chinese territory for months last year. With the coronavirus outbreak subsiding, more people in Hong Kong have responded to online calls for action, although in far smaller numbers than the hundreds of thousands who marched last year against proposed legislation that could have seen dissidents or criminal suspects extradited to mainland China to face unfair trials and possible torture. The legislation was eventually withdrawn, but the protests continued, growing increasingly violent as both police and demonstrators adopted hardline tactics. Thousands, mainly young people, were arrested in the demonstrations for crimes including rioting and possessing weapons. The former British colony was handed back to China in 1997 under a "one country, two systems" framework in which Hong Kong was given freedoms not enjoyed on the mainland and promised a high degree of autonomy in its affairs for 50 years. Pro-democracy supporters say those rights are being eroded by Beijing as it tightens its grip on the territory through tough policing and increasingly restrictive legislation.

Read the current issue of The Asian Reporter in its entirety!
Go to <>!